Sunday, June 8, 2008

MAY BE IT WAS THE PANTS



One of the most frustrating things in tango for women is not being noticed by the leaders... and for men... it is being rejected by the followers. When we -me and two other ladies- were discussing this couple of months ago, I never thought I would need their valuable tips one day.
"Walking across the room every so often really helps, you get more noticed" she said with an assured expression on her face. "And you shouldn't stand by the table and do keep your hands off the food, that really makes you look pathetic"... "Body language is also very important..." the other one added. "...You should never cross your arms over your chest. That says "I'm reserved, don't touch me"... They should hang naturally with your palms slightly turned outwards... And of course put a smile on your face and don't forget the eye contact." Pointing at my pants, "by the way... if you wear a skirt you will double your chances" the first one commented, while the other one nodding with content.

Today is one of those days... My pure God-given existence is not working today. I am invisible. It is almost the seventh tanda and here I am standing on my usual corner with my arms naturally hanging, my palms slightly turned outwards... the corners of my lips are already twitching and the stupid smile which I have been trying to keep glued on my face is about to turn into a hysteric cry any minute.... and my eyes are still trying to do some contact but with their new slitted shape they are now hating every other leader in the room. I haven't touched the food yet, I am hungry, but hey... I don't look pathetic!!! When I attempt to do my tenth little walk across the room to get more noticed, a woman sitting at a table right beside me bursted into laughter. "You just can't stay still, can you? How many more tours are you gonna take around?" Pointing at the fan on the other side of the room, "I am hot" I hissed. "Yeah... dancing" she said with a faint smile on her face... I haven't had one dance yet but, oh yeah, I sure was hot..... "hot" is not the word. I was fuming with frustration and this woman wasn't making it any easier. Biting my tongue, I slowly walked towards the fan to make my point... After wasting couple of good milongas I decided I should leave the fan alone and go home. Just as I made my move one of the beginner leaders approached me. "One day..." he said, "... one day I'll dance with you." Being sooo frustrated, I asked "why not now?" Shaking his head to both sides he said, "No, I am not ready to dance with you yet. Plus you are very picky, you wouldn't dance with me." He was right, he was a beginner, and yes lately I was getting very picky about whom I was going to dance. But today... at this moment, at this split second I was not picky. NOT AT ALL!!! I, at least, had to prove myself that all the tricks I played were not worthless. Before he had a chance to leave me there all alone I grabbed his arm and with a sympathetic look in my eyes I told him, "I'll dance with you!" "Really?" he said, "Do you really want to give it a try?." I wanted to shake him... jolt his head... scream into his ears until the drums pop, "Dance with me damn it. DANCE WITH ME!". But instead I smiled and said, "Yes, let's give it a try"...

Tango world is a strange world. It is the world of emotions, world of fantasies, world of love. It is heaven, it is hell... It is a second life where people strip off their shells and become more of themselves... more competitive, more aggressive, more jealous, more fragile, more attractive, more ruthless... And I love it. Even if that means once in a blue moon, I have to stand on the corner all night long without even one dance...
Oh well... who knows... may be it was the pants. I'll wear a skirt next time.

No comments: