Thursday, December 25, 2008

TWO STORIES AND LESSONS TO LEARN


Story I

Today is my lucky day. My hair is cooperating, makeup is perfect... for once I am earlier than usual and with the first wave of my hand a taxi jams on the breaks and stops right in front of me. I am going to Verdi Club. After not dancing for two days I am excited. I tell the address to the driver and to my great surprise he knows where it is exactly. In ten minutes I am in front of Verdi.
"It looks crowded" says the driver pointing out the people sitting on the stairs. "What is going on in there tonight?" I turn my head and see at least ten guys out there, chatting, smoking... "Tango" I say proudly while handing him the money. "Well" he says... "enjoy yourself" ... Ignoring his sarky smile and meaningful blink, I get off. I hear cheering and applause coming from inside. "Must be a performance" I think to myself... It's gonna be an interesting night. Especially with all these leaders I have never seen before. They must be visitors. Looking at their cowboy hats, probably they are coming from Texas or something.
"Are you going to try it out?", one of the guys ask.
"Yeah" I say, "as soon as I change my shoes.
"Ever done it before?"
"Well... for about 5 or six years by now."
"I can't even last for 3 seconds" he laughs.
"Newbie" I mumble to myself and head in.... and... I get the big picture. Doggoned!!!... What the heck.... There is a huge mechanical bull in the middle of the dance hall surrounded by bunch of guys... I can't look anymore, I can't stay any longer and I can't believe myself. I completely forgot that the tango was cancelled for a private party. Without looking back I throw myself out and run down the stairway, covering my ears to all the comments...
-Leaving already?
-Can teach you!...
-Bla bla bla bla
-Bla bla bla
-Bla bla
-Bla....
With my hand in the air ready to wave for a cab, I don't feel that lucky anymore. Suddenly I see someone from the tango scene walking towards me... I grab his arm as if I had seen a long lost friend. I can't remember his name, can't remember if we ever danced before but he is my best friend now. He is my tango pal. He is my rescuer. Well... honestly... he is my ride. Just like me he forgot that tango was cancelled. I tell him what's going on inside. Luckily he is not into riding mechanical bulls so he gives me a ride to the other milonga.

Story II

It's crowded today here in Cocomo. It's not even eleven yet but I've had wonderful dances already. I can easily go home all happy and tired. Instead I sit by some friends and begin to watch the tango scene. One of the ladies pokes the other one with her elbow and points out someone.
"Watch this guy, he's a great dancer!"
Although I think I am a good observer especially when it comes to spotting good leaders, I believe it's always useful to have some feedback from other ladies so I prick up my ears.
"Did you just see that ?... Oh... Great patada!.... Wonderful zarandeo!!!.... Was that a saltida or salto?"
My inner voice says, "sorry, but to me that patada was just a painful "kick". That zarandeo was a big jolt. And that wasn't a saltida... that was a jump."
The song ends... the last song of the tanda...
"I really want to dance with this guy but he never cabeceos me" she says poking me with her other elbow this time. "Isn't he great?"
I remember turning a blind eye to his cabeseos many times. When he intensely looks at me I either begin to unbuckle and buckle my shoes, or dig deep into my purse as if I am looking for something. If I see him walking towards me then it's time to run to the bathroom to freshen up. Maybe he is a good dancer. Maybe he dances better than he looks. Maybe I am not seeing what these women see. Maybe I am just judging the book by its cover. Maybe I am just bad... maybe....
I suddenly wake up from my thoughts with a gentle touch on my shoulder and I come eye to eye with him.
"Do you think I will be able to convince you to dance with me tonight?"
With my friend's even harder and really encouraging elbow poke on my side and his nose to nose unavoidable cabeceo I find myself on the dance floor, in his embrace and I am already trying to find my balance. I have a feeling that we look like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. We begin to move with the fast beat of the song. Right, left, back, front... We are swaying with our upper body, and I have to find a way to hang on so that I don't fall down. The stronger I grab his shoulder, the more aggressive he becomes. When I begin to feel the jumps and jolts then I put my arm around his neck... well I grab... his neck, so that I can hang there. It almost feels like he wants to throw me away, knock me down. It almost looks like a bull riding I bet. And I suddenly remember the mechanical bull in Verdi. May be I should have stayed there that night and tried to learn how to ride the damn thing so I wouldn't suffer so much here tonight. I don't know how I last there for three minutes in "Leaning Tower of Pisa" embrace with all those jolts and jumps but finally the song finishes. Looks like I am still standing. I break our embrace, straighten myself and thank him for the "rocking" dance. While going to my seat I promise myself that I will write a manual for followers who willingly or unwillingly end up with "mechanical bull dancers" on the dance floor.



And the lesson (Manual)

Step 1

Start with the least experienced one. The one who knows fewer figures. Friends may encourage you to be daring and dance with the more complicated dancers, but starting easy will prevent injury and the potential embarrassment of being thrown off immediately.

Step 2

Increase the level one leader at a time without skipping. You can change leaders fast when you get the hang of them, but you will want to experience all the swirls and jolts of each leader so you know what to expect on the next one.


Step 3

Hold on to the leader tightly with one hand. The other hand should be used for balance. Move it around from side to side, front to back to keep your weight balanced with the center of the leader. If the leader jerks left, your arm should move right to keep your weight from moving too far to the left due to momentum.


Step 4.

Press your legs against the leader tightly while keeping your upper body lose. Your lower body will hold you connected to the leader, but your upper body will help balance your weight. If your upper body becomes tight, it will not sway properly and you will be thrown off.

Step 5

When it becomes obvious you are about to fall, first give him a big gancho in between his legs as high as possible, lead yourself to a salto and jump off quickly... This will not only help you to land more softly, it could make your fall look a little more graceful. Everybody falls down eventually, but not everybody can make it look good.

No comments: